Thoughts on a press release
1) Provincial Government is Committed to Displaced Workers. In case you're still confused about which government, it's title-dropped four times: Provincial Government, Provincial Government, Provincial Government, Provincial Government.
2) And oh, lookie, "the Williams Government is committed to ensuring that" blah blah blah. That would appear to be the first time that Danny Williams-Government has let Our good name be associated with the Grand Fiasco.
3) "Premier Williams has been in touch with union leadership today assuring them that the issue of severance is a priority for this government."
Why is Shawn Skinner saying that? Where's Danny Williams-Government?
4) " AbitibiBowater has an obligation to these people and the Provincial Government will take steps to ensure that severance is provided."
Why the passive voice?
5) So much for cultural, fiscal, and — whatever that means — "moral" autonomy from Ottawa:
The Provincial Government’s top priority in discussions with AbitibiBowater, the Federal Government, and potential trustees is to safeguard the interests of displaced workers... "Given the forestry’s overall importance in the national economy, there is tremendous opportunity for the Federal Government to support workers during this trying time," said Minister Skinner. "The forestry employs twice the number of workers as the automobile sector. With this in mind, I encourage the Federal Government to step up and provide similar levels of support."6) Released at ten minutes to five on a Friday afternoon? No one should be shot, certainly not Scott Barfoot.