labradore

"We can't allow things that are inaccurate to stand." — The Word of Our Dan, February 19, 2008.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Happy Canada Day 2008

"I have come to the conclusion that this country's future should be tied up to the great country to the west of us... I feel certain that I am right, and I have a reason to say it, that this country's future is definitely tied up with the federal system of government that we have so close to us... While we were under the Commission and before the National Convention was thought of, I was thinking that when the time came to think of getting back to a more democratic form of government, that at least we should give this federal system an opportunity to be surveyed. When the National Convention was announced and it came to my notice, I thought that this was a splendid opportunity to tod tht... I have made the study, and as I say, as faithfully and as carefully as I can, and I have come to the conclusion that my thoughts along that line have many things to justify them. Our destiny, our future, if we are to have anything better than we have had in the past, is definitely tied up with a federal system of government. I'm encouraged by the fact that some of my friends within the city and around this country, men and women who could not be said to be biased in any way, who are detached from politics and business life, whose mind have been trained to think things through objectively, many of them think the same as I do."
— Rev. Lester Leeland Burry
(Labrador)
Debates of the National Convention
January 13, 1948

"Regionally, as outlined in the table that follows, more respondents in Labrador (81%) and the Central region (80%) felt that Confederation has been a good thing for this province versus those in the Western (72%), Avalon (71%), and St. John’s (70%) regions."

Ryan Research poll for the Blame Canada Commission, 2003


1 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, July 02, 2008 , Blogger babe in boyland said...

doesn't that still say that at least 70-80% of newfoundlanders and labradoreans feel that confederation has been good for us?

i wonder how the remaining 20-30% breaks down - not good, terrible, no worse than any other option, don't know - that kind of thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home