labradore

"We can't allow things that are inaccurate to stand." — The Word of Our Dan, February 19, 2008.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Requiescat

Them Days is more than a job for me, more than a periodical: it became my 'calling' the day I was told I had the job. I have loved Labrador since I have been old enough to appreciate its beauty, and more so as I listened to stories from the older people...

Being editor of Them Days has allowed me to go places and meet people that I undoubtedly would never have met. I have so much to be grateful for because of Them Days and the people who have helped us to continue preserving our cultural identity.

No matter how long and cold the winters will be from now on, for me the skies will always be blue, and the warmth will last forever.

- Doris J. Saunders
Them Days 21:1
Fall 1995

2 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, May 30, 2006 , Blogger Patriot said...

WJM, could you please contact me directly at higginsmyles@yahoo.ca

There is something I would like to discuss.

Myles

 
At 2:06 AM, June 16, 2006 , Blogger Charlie said...

You may or may not be aware of this already, but I got an email about a "Them Day" Fundraiser. Posted to my blog anyway, but here's the notice:

This notice below was sent out from Teresa Best of the Native Liaison Office, MUN.

Them Days to hold fundraiser in St. John’s

JUNE 14, 2006 - Them Days Archives & Publications will be hosting a fundraiser evening on Sunday, June 25, at 7 p.m. at the Inco Innovation Centre in St. John’s.

The event will help raise awareness of Them Days magazine as well as raise funds for a much-needed archive room in which to store the vast amount of rare and valuable photos, negatives, taped interviews, books, official records, genealogies and numerous files of anything and everything to do with Labrador.

Them Days Editor and Curator, Lorne Hollett, is inviting everyone to this informative evening, which will showcase early photos of Northern Labrador.

Judge Jim Igloliorte will be guest speaker at the event and will tell of his first-hand experience of Labrador.

“Thirty-one years ago, the late Doris Saunders was hired to prepare a book of stories as told by the elders of Labrador,” said Mr. Hollett “Doris saw the potential of something great and established an on-going quarterly publication, which we still have today.”

Them Days Archives & Publications has been called, “…the greatest source of Labrador archival material in the word.”

“I am encouraging everyone to attend this event, as we need the public’s support to help us achieve our goal of a proper archive, so that our valuable collection is kept safe for years to come,” said Mr. Hollett.

Refreshments will be provided and every person who attends will have their name entered in a draw for a gift set of back issues of Them Days.

For more information on this event, contact Them Days at (709) 896-8531.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home